Something about Porto Venere

 

 

Porto Venere makes his first appearance in the Itinerary historic Maritime Emperor Antoninus Pius (161 AD), the maritime center, the Roman port, the town was located in the Church of San Pietro, Piazza Spallanzani.

In 643, Porto Venere, the base of the Byzantine fleet against the Lombards, was attacked and destroyed seeds in the Middle Ages was flourishing life, perhaps for the monastic movement that settled there, of which we have evidence today with the remains of a monastery island of Tino and Tinetto. Genoa in 1113 bought the territory of Porto Venere for military purposes suited to their needs with architectural changes such as tower-houses beachfront homes and function as a defensive structure to shield the central streets of the village

In the short period between 1118 and 1130 the Genoese erected, by the masters Antelami, the new church dedicated to San Lorenzo for the "castrun novum." Around 1160 was raised to the walls with three towers and the entrance bordered the village, was executed the following year the renewal of "castrum vetus" with the rebuilding of the wall pre-Genovese.

 

Another important intervention of the Genoese was the construction of the castle changed several times over the years, innovation in firearms marked the beginning of military decline of the colony. The church of San Pietro, built on the ruins of pagan temple dedicated to Venus, was reworked in Gothic-Genovese unifying several parts of the ancient temples, the work was completed in 1277.  Since 1399 the Church of San Lorenzo vienne kept the image of the Madonna Bianca, the patron saint of the village, carried in procession 17 August (a tradition still alive in Porto Venus in the evening procession is lit votive candles, in particular the tip of St. Peter's Church).

Porto Venere remained linked to events in Genoa after the beginning of the decline in Cologne in 1340, when a serious fire destroyed much of the country was unified after the reconstruction. In the following centuries La Spezia established a foothold in the military unit with a military fortification for the proper use of firearms.

Torre Scola, the small fort west of the island Palmaria, dates back to 1606, partially destroyed by the English fleet in 1800. Napoleon's arrival marks the country again, because the castle is transformed into a political prison and further amended in its structure, the remains of St. Peter's Church were used as lookouts for military purposes. (restaurata dal 1929 al 1934). (Restored from 1929 to 1934). In 1812 began the construction of the road that connects La Spezia to Portovenere, called just "Napoleonic road."

Questo sito utilizza cookie, anche di terze parti, per migliorare la tua esperienza e offrire servizi in linea con le tue preferenze. Chiudendo questo banner, scorrendo questa pagina o cliccando qualunque suo elemento acconsenti all’uso dei cookie. Se vuoi saperne di più leggi la nostra Cookie Policy. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

I accept cookies from this site.

EU Cookie Directive Module Information